Friday, October 15, 2010

Real Italian gelato and Italian style steak in central Italy

I came up to Rome and Florence. I had really good Naples style espresso and pizza while I was in south. Now I came up to central Italy, Rome and Florence. What amazes me about this country is that it is so easy to find descent food for just several bucks. Even a small grocery super market offer numerous kinds of cured meat and cheese. I want to write about what I enjoyed in Rome and the Florence area while my memory is fresh.

Gelateria Giolliti, Rome
I had only casual food in Rome because I actually ate too much in south.  What I really liked in Rome is gelato. I had gelato at some popular gelaterias, but I liked Giolliti the best. Giolitti is a very old gelateria in central Rome. They have been there since...sorry, I forgot, but anyway for so long. The shop was packed with people and  I had to wait in a long line, but it went very fast. I had small size for 2.5 Euros, which is approximately 3.8 dollars.I ordered small size, but it was actually very big. I had pistachio, chocolate, and lemon flavors with whipped cream. It was so creamy, yet not so heavy. I enjoyed the taste of the natural flavors of ingredients very much. The whipped cream was very rich and melt in my mouth, and the richness of the whipped cream went very well with the creamy texture of the ice cream. It was delicious. There are many famous gelaterias in Rome. I strongly recommend you to stop by Giolliti at least once if you visit Rome.

La Taverna di Cecco, Siena
I found really a lovely restaurant while I was strolling around Siena. The restaurant was full of people, who looked like young professional and local Madames. So, I dropped in. I had a steak with fresh fungi and arugula. The most famous food in this area is steak. It was actually one of the best steak ever. It was different from American steak nor Japanese steak. It did not have much fat, but it was so tender and juicy. It had a hint of smokey flavor, and it went perfectly well with the rich flavors of fungi and butter. I thought this is the Italian style steak. I tasted it very much with a glass of red wine. I paid 25 Euros, which is like 36 dollars for lunch. I thought the price is very reasonable because the steak was memorably good, the service was excellent, and the atmosphere was nice. I really had a great time and food there.