Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Much more delicious food in Italy

Hi, I am writing from Italy now. This country is a fantastic place to enjoy food. It is just amazing. Can you believe that descent Parma prosciutto costs only one or two bucks? It is very easy to find good food for reasonable price. I will write about my experience in Naples today.

As you know, Naples is famous for its fantastic pizza. Two or three local people recommended me to go to Da Michele. Da Michele is definitely one of the best places to know what Naples style pizza is. When I arrived at Da Michele, it was so crowded. I mean, of course the restaurant was crowded, but outside of the restaurant was also packed with the customers as well! You need to take a number at the door and it usually takes 20 to 30 minutes to take a table. The way they offer their pizza is very simple. They have only Pizza Margaruta and double cheese Margaruta in medium and large size. They have pops and a beer also. I have had many great pizzas, but their pizza was very special. The dough was one of its kind. The outside of the pizza was crusty and smokey, but the inside was soft. I would say the softness was something between fluffy, sticky, and chewy. I ordered a medium size pizza and a bottle of beer. I paid only 6 euros or so. The portion was huge. I thought I had no way to finish it, but I ate it up because it was so good!!!

To enjoy great pizza in Naples, you have to be a bit careful there. Even Italians in the area say that they hesitate to go to Naples because it is dangerous to be there. Here are the tips I got from locals to enjoy visiting Naples.

Rule 1, No jewelery on you.
Rule 2, Do not bring your purse. Put your money in your pocket.
Rule 3, Do not bring anything important with you.

I took their advice sincerely and followed them. I was absolutely OK. The traffic was crazy like hell though...I also had famous sphorgliatella, baba, canolli, and espresso while I was in Naples. Everything was excellent, but espresso was especially impressive. It was so rich and had a very special aroma. It costs only a dollar if you have it at a counter, not a table. Italians stop by coffee bars to enjoy espresso several times a day. It is just so nice to enjoy great coffee many times a day. 

I am so glad that I had a chance to visit southern part of Italy. Food was great, people were nice, and the landscape was breathtaking there. My story about much more delicious food in Italy will be moving onto great food in Central Italy the next time. Ciao!